The majority of security chains offered today are made by the same companies, meaning a regular customer may not be able to find the one they need. Our extensive list includes all the best ones out there which you won’t have to worry about anymore since we have tested them.
In this chapter, we’ll examine a variety of the best security chains. A security chain is also worth buying when you want to find one that is appropriate for your needs.
Our 5 Favorite Security Chain
Top 7 Best Security Chain Reviews
1.Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT
In keeping with the name of the product provided here, it is a great idea to lock your bicycle with this security chain and then ensure that it is never taken.
Each link of the heavy-duty chain is 14 mm thick, made of manganese steel. Standard bolt cutters will have a difficult time getting through them. Our test chain took us much longer than the time a thief would have had to break it with the tools we used.
A small LED is attached to one of the keys in this lock, so this lock comes with three keys. As you lock or unlock the chain in a dark area, you can see what’s happening using this feature.
- A 5 inch chain is available
- Approximately 15 millimeters in diameter
- It weighs 15.25 pounds
- Stainless steel chain with 14 mm links
- The key has a LED built into one of its stainless steel faces
- Dirt, dust, and grime are kept at bay by dust covers
- Exceptionally safe
- A bit pricey
- Heavily laden
Choosing a product that will withstand both thefts and harsh weather is crucial if you want a long-lasting security chain. Its durability and resistance are unmatched.
2. Schlage 12mm Noose
There is no significant difference in length between the two sizes of this product that we tested. This incredibly long chain can be utilized in a wide variety of new and creative ways to lock your bike.
More of the chain’s length can be used because of the cinch ring. To make your bike even more secure, you can pair this chain with other types of locks such as U-locks or padlocks to make sure that it is locked up securely.
- The 39-inch and 59-inch lengths are available
- Approximately 5 lbs. and 10 lbs.
- Rings that cinch
- Manganese steel links, 12 inches thick
- Diameter: 12 mm
- The lock can be used at the same time as the padlock or U-lock
- Longer than you thought
- Very light in weight
- Protective against cuts
- Unlike other chains, the chain is not completely covered by protective cloth
There’s no need to look any further for a long security chain. There are 59 inches of length on this chain. It is made up of links that are extremely strong and as such are hard to cut through.
3. Abus Iven Steel-O-Chain
There are many kinds of security chains that you can buy that are quite lightweight, so you won’t have any problem taking them everywhere you go on your bicycle.
It is an extremely high-quality nylon cover for the body that is provided. A huge part of its long-term effectiveness is that it increases security chain longevity.
In order to make sure that your bike’s paint is not scratched up in the process of securing it, the security chain has a special coating applied. Biker complaints about cheap security chains are quite common.
- This product measures 15.6 inches by 5.5 inches by 3.4 inches
- It weighs 4.67 pounds
- The body cover is included
- Thickness: 8 mm
- Surfaces with a scratch-resistant coating
- It is protected from dirt and dust by a nylon body cover
- Exceptionally light
- There have been complaints that some customers received their locks without keys
The product is ideal for those who wish to protect their security chain from the elements, as well as from their surroundings. It is made of nylon material and is very strong for a chain like this, so it keeps the chain safe from all sorts of things.
4.Kryptonite New York Noose
Secure in every way, this product. This machine comes with a sturdy exterior as well as a very intimidating color palette of black and orange. As a visual deterrent, this appearance makes the bike difficult for any potential thief to steal.
Kryptonite’s Key Safe program features a feature in which you have the option of contacting them in case you lose your keys and they will be happy to send you two free of charge in replacement.
- The dimensions are 8.5 by 4.8 by 3.5 inches
- The weight of this item is 6.94 pounds
- Chain links with a diameter of 12 mm
- Providing protection with nylon
- Chain with a 14 mm diameter
- Program to secure your keys
- The price is reasonable
- Exceptionally safe
- The size of a microbe
- Visually dissuades potential criminals
- The size of it is heavy
It would be great if you could use a security chain and padlock on your bike for additional security so you can secure your bike both from thieves and from other riders. You will be able to use it for a lifetime since it’s made of extremely high-quality materials.
5.Kryptonite 001706 48′ Keeper 712 Integrated
Featuring a 4-sided chain with 7 mm thick, 3-foot-long links, this security chain is ideal for security purposes. Unlike the majority of metals and alloys, they can resist all types of cutting attacks and are made from manganese steel.
An end cap with a solid disc-like cylinder at the top that resists both picks and drills is also attached.
In addition, the chain is enclosed in a nylon sleeve. It doesn’t just protect your bike’s paint from scratches, but it also keeps the chain from getting damaged by harsh weather.
- A great little handbag that measures 7.1 inches x 7.1 inches x 1.2 inches
- The item weighs 3.7 pounds
- Cylinder that resists drilling
- Extra-strong end-link design patent-pending
- Sleeves made of nylon
- Very safe
- Exceptionally light
- Several months later, the lock becomes rigid
A product like this would be ideal if you live in a very damp or very cold place. Your bike will stay dry, snug, and secure even in sleet, rain, or snow.
6. Security Chain Company SZ343
Shur Grip Z is a patented Security Chain Company product that is designed to meet the traction product needs of the everyday consumer and is available to fit most passenger car tire sizes. Shur Grip Z offers a unique combination of performance and convenience features for every user.
Super Z is designed to meet the everyday traction product needs of the average consumer. The Super Z SZ300 series is available to fit all passenger car tire sizes, offering a unique combination of performance and convenience features for every user:
- “Designed-in” rubber tensioner means there is no need to stop and re-tighten after installation
- Greater durability and better all-around performance than conventional tire chains or cables
- Better compatibility with anti-lock brakes, traction control, all-wheel drive (AWD) and other electronically monitored control systems
- Meets S.A.E. Class ‘S’ clearance requirements or vehicles with limited clearance
- Low potential for damage to vehicle body and mechanical components, even when abused
- Shur Grip Z class S cable chains
- Fast and easy installation with included rubber tighteners
- Better all-around traction performance than conventional cable or link chain
- For use on most passenger vehicles
7. ABUS Hardened Steel 10KS 10 Foot x 3/8″ Thick Square Security Chain for Bikes
Our security chains are made of hardened steel with a special anti-corrosion coating which makes them ideal for outdoor use. The links are not round like on common chains, but are square-shaped which is a lot more effective against attacks with tools. The chains also feature a nylon sleeve to prevent paint work and chrome from scratches and damage.
German engineered and developed by highly trained specialists, the quality and design of ABUS products set benchmarks worldwide. All ABUS products are developed to provide optimum security for people and property.
From locksmiths to safety specialists, ABUS is recognized globally by professionals for its product durability and precision cylinders.
Committed to purposeful creativity. ABUS invented the Diskus style padlock over 50 years ago which is now imitated in the market.
- Premium Quality: Our security chains are made of hardened steel with a special anti-corrosion coating which makes them ideal for outdoor use. Each link has a thickness of 3/8″, inside height of 1 1/2″ and inside width of 5/8″.This chain requires 8 tons of cutting force to break through the hardened steel.
- Theft Deterrence: Our chain cannot be compromised by typical aggressive burglary attacks. Each individual link is unique in that the shape is squared rather than round. The squared link construction makes it almost impossible for theft tools to get a secure grip on the chain to cut. The thick hardened steel is extra resistant to sawing and the welded finish makes prying insurmountable.
- Secure Anything: ABUS square link security chains are utilized by both industrial and consumer users. Our customers trust this chain to secure their commercial/residential properties, containers, bikes, gates, fences, trailers, ATV’s, motorcycles and much more.
- Scratch Resistant: Traditional security chains expose your items/property to potential damages and scratches when in use. ABUS security chains feature a nylon sleeve to protect your property from scratches and damages while in use.
- Synonymous with Security: ABUS has been manufacturing and innovating security technology since 1924. When it comes to protecting lives and valuables, ABUS provides security solutions to help you feel safe and secure.
Best Security Chain Buying Guide
How do you decide what security chain to buy?
Before you purchase a security chain, you should keep the following things in mind:
- Parking Your Bike in the Area
When choosing a place to ride your bike or park your bike, you have to think about the area where you will ride and where you will park your bike. You could get away with carrying around a lightweight security chain for your bicycle if you live in an area that is relatively low to moderate in terms of crime risks. You might, however, want to consider an investment in a heavy-duty security chain if you live in an area that is risky. In order for it to be able to withstand attacks, it must be able to withstand attacks from strong tools and techniques.
- Dimensions, weight, and size
The best security chain must be durable, but it also has to be maneuverable enough that it doesn’t hinder your mobility. When you find it inconvenient to carry your security chain around every time you ride your bike, you are probably going to stop using it.
The length of the security chain also has to be considered, so you have to think about how long you need the chain to be. Considering how you normally lock your bike may help you decide this. Are you locking the wheel to a structural support or locking it to the bike frame? Your security chain will depend on the answers you give to all of these questions.
In contrast to your instincts, we suggest going against your instincts when choosing a security chain if you are someone who likes trying out new brands. You must buy security chains from well-known brands that have been developing them for years. The chains they produce are built to withstand many and varied attacks from these companies. If you are looking for a security chain, make sure to buy it from a reliable source. You run the risk of having your bike stolen if, instead, you choose a less-known brand.
- Product Reviews
A security chain review can offer up a wealth of information about a product, which can really help you decide whether or not the product is worth your money. In their experience, they have a much better understanding of the specific weaknesses of specific locks and whether certain techniques are required to break them.
Before you decide whether or not to buy a product, it is advisable to read the manufacturer’s documentation.
Security chains: how secure are they?
An example of a secure bike lock is a security chain. Flexibility and ease of use make them ideal. They are the safest kind of lock you can use with your bicycle if they are paired with a U-lock or padlock. The security chains in high-end homes and businesses tend to be thick and often crafted from dense materials, such as hardened manganese steel. Because of this, even powerful tools like angle grinders find it challenging to cut through them.
Is one security chain more secure than another?
In order to determine if it is safe enough for you, you might want to inspect the product by yourself to see if the durability and the thickness feel right to you.
In addition to searching online, you can also find companies that test the security of chains and locks. These organizations provide consumers with a security rating that tells them how secure a product is, said Sold Secure, for example.
What is the typical material of security chains?
Security chains are made from a variety of materials by different manufacturers. Several companies use manganese steel compounds, as we mentioned earlier. In this way, security chains are very resistant to cutting and leverage attacks because of their strong and durable exteriors.
The material Chromium and Molybdenum is also used to manufacture bike chains and protector lock chains.
It is also impermeable to cutting attacks when made of Boron Manganese Steel. Hardening it correctly is still necessary.
Best Security Chains- FAQs
Security chains can be cut with bolt cutters?
There are hexagonal, trapezoidal, and square links present on most top-end security chains. Bolt cutters have a difficult time grasping the links because they are uniquely shaped. The chain is thick enough so that it cannot be cut if somehow a thief manages to grab hold of it. Only bolt cutters can cut through them without requiring too much strength from a human.
Could there be a truly unbreakable security chain?
Security chains can be cut when given enough time and resources and no matter how durable they are, that does not make them impossible to cut.
It is certainly possible to try your best to secure a chain of security that is difficult to cut, hence taking a large amount of time as well as resources to do so. Thieves are usually very busy, they have limited time, and the tools they carry are usually portable. With these two major facts in mind, there is definitely a security chain you can find that is strong enough for even the most determined of thieves.
When people say “through hardened”, what do they mean?
An alloy is through-hardened by quenching it quickly. As a result, the whole thickness of the material is harder.
Do bolt cutters work on hardened steel?
When working with bolt cutters, it is nearly impossible to cut through a chain made of hardened steel. An iron chain with hardened strands is meant to be hardened throughout its thickness. In addition to having this flat shape, the flat links also provide distribution of the force from the bolt cutter’s jaws through the chain, thus diffusing the stress.
Cables or chains are more secure?
An excellent alternative to a standard cable lock is a security chain. Using standard tools like bolt cutters or a hacksaw, a normal thief can easily hack through a cable lock. In contrast, security chains need to be cut through using very powerful tools and a lot of time.
I want to buy a chain, how can I determine its thickness?
The security level you require can be determined by selecting a balance between how portable you need it to be and how secure you require it. You should also consider where your bike will be stored when choosing a rack. If you plan to chain your bike to anything, make sure the security chain is thin enough to pass through the frame of your bike.
Bikers around the world depend on security chains for bike locks that provide great security and comfort. Finding the right security chain for your business is paramount to preventing it from being breached by thieves using common techniques and tools.
The Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT is the winner after months of testing and research. Additionally, it has a convenient LED key and is remarkably sturdy and corrosion-resistant.
The post about the best security chains has come to a close.
If you use a security chain to secure your bike, let us know in the comments.