Smart lights, such as Hue Light Strips, are a popular new form of lighting. Smart lights can change colors, brightness, and turn on and off with your smartphone or with the click of a remote button. Many smart lights can also connect to smart home speakers or assistants such as Google Home and Alexa, making it even easier to control your lights, but with your voice.
WHAT ARE HUE LIGHT STRIPS?
Hue Light Strips are a product made by Philips, one of the biggest electronics and lighting brands. The first product they ever produced was a light bulb, so they have been one of the lead lighting brands for quite some time now. They have recently come out with Hue Light Strips, which are smart lights that have an excessive amount of abilities to give you the most accessible and unique home lighting.
- Maximum Compatibility: Pair your Hue smart bulbs with any voice or Smart Home assistant. Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, Microsoft Cortana, Smart Things, IFTT. Hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately). For the full Hue experience and to take advantage of voice activation purchase the Philips Hue Hub. . Search "Philips Hue Hub" to find this product on
- Hassle-Free Connectivity: Smart Lights that won’t clog up your Wi-Fi network. Control up to 50 Hue lights on one Hue Hub without adding a Wi-Fi extender or extra router
- How to use: Install the flexible 80-inch Light Strip under bars, bed frames, or cabinets, with included adhesive tape. Trim it to the perfect size with the included cut marks. Extend your Philips Hue Light strip Plus up to 33 feet by adding the 40 inch Hue Light strip Extension to cover larger surfaces and enable wider applications”
- Ultimate Entertainment Experience: Sync your Hue lights with Gaming, Music and Movies using your PC via the Hue Sync app
- Next-Level Automation: Hue is a Smart Lighting system that remembers your light routines and timers, even when your Wi-Fi goes down. Actual Color Temperature (K):6500
EASE OF USE
Hue Light Strips have a special smartphone application you can use to control or adjust lights. You can use the app to turn the light on or off, change the color of the lights, dim or brighten the lights, set timers for when the lights turn off or set a schedule for when the lights turn on. Whether you’re in your home, at work, or across the world, you can control your Hue Light Strips. This is especially useful when you want your lights to be on before you get home or when you are too far to turn your lights on or off manually.
Hue Light Strips have an extensive amount of smart features. First, they can be controlled by an application on Android or iPhone or by a smart speaker such as Alexa, Google Home, or Siri. However, you must purchase a Philips Hue Bridge to connect to your light strips for your lights to access the internet and be controlled. Hue Light Strips can also sync with movies, television shows, and games to tailor the lighting situation to what is happening on your screen.
Philip’s Hue Lights have a sticky adhesive on the back, which makes it effortless to place anywhere in your home. The adhesive can wear off or become less sticky if you constantly move or replace your light strip in different positions or locations, but you can easily apply more adhesive. They were also designed flexible enough to put around difficult or oddly shaped areas and bend in whatever way you need them to. They are not completely waterproof or dustproof, so they should not be placed in outside settings.
To set up Hue Lights, you need to take them out of the package and stick them to any surface you would like them to go on. As mentioned before, it is necessary to purchase a bridge to connect them to the internet. After the bridge is connected to a certain part of the light strip, you can download the Philips Hue Lights application (or the application for your smart speaker) and connect them to your device. Syncing and connecting to both the application and smart speakers is easy.
- Controllable via smartphone or speaker
- Syncs to television
- Ability to cut/extend
- Required to purchase additional accessories
- Easy set up. LIFX z strips plug into the wall then use a sticky adhesive to allow you to place them exactly where you want. Simply download the app, connect to Wi-Fi and you're ready to go
- Built in Wi-Fi & LIFX cloud. Offers full Lighting control via Wi-Fi and cloud through our LIFX iOS, Android and windows 10 apps and plugs are US-plug A,international-plugs A, C, G and I
- Adjustable and dimmable. Connected Lighting for your space, time of day, and mood. Choose from 16 million colors and a full range of warm to cool whites with flexibility to dim the light too
- Custom zones. Let your imagination run wild with 8 individually Addressable Color/white zones per meter. Create patterns and custom waveforms to express your creativity
- Fit to length. LIFX z can be adjusted to your preferred length to ensure the best fit for your home. Not intended for use in weather-exposed areas
The LIFX Z Light Strip has amazing capabilities to be controlled through various smart home assistants or from their smartphone application. Unlike other smart lights, they feature “zones,” which can be customized differently in any way you’d like or with presets.
EASE OF USE
The LIFX Z has any easy-to-use application to control the lights, and it is easy to set them up. Unlike the Hue Light Strip, the LIFX Z has built-in Wi-Fi to make it even more seamless when adjusting brightness, changing colors, setting timers, setting schedules, and more. It is also simple to connect them to any smart home appliance.
One of the unique features of the LIFX Z Light Strip is that it can “paint” the lights. It features eight separate light zones, so you can use the application to set each zone to a different color and customize them in any way you choose. You can also set brightness, timers, and there are over 16 million colors to choose from. Besides this, the LIFX Z Light Strip is compatible with many smart home assistants such as Alexa, Google Assistant, and Samsung SmartThings.
Like Hue Lights, the LIFX Z has an adhesive on the back to stick onto any surface. They can bend at a 90-degree angle, which makes them flexible enough to place on or above counters, on walls, around a television or computer monitors, and more. With this light strip not being highly bendable, you also cannot cut them. This can make it hard to get the light strip exactly the way you want it, but you can connect additional light strips to make it longer.
Setting the LIFX Z up is trouble-free. Once you take it out of the neat packaging, you then connect the light strip to the outlet. After this, you can connect it to your Wi-Fi network and download the corresponding app to control it. It is also hassle-free to set up the LIFX Z Light Strips to any smart home speaker or assistant.
- Color zones
- Easy set-up
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Unable to cut
- Only bend at a 90-degree angle
- ZigBee LED Strip Lights: Whether you forgot to turn a light off or want to turn your lights on before you come home from work, you can monitor your lights right from your smartphone and create schedules and automations to fit your daily routines.
- Smart Home Lighting: Integrate voice control by pairing an Amazon Echo or Google Home smart speaker to your compatible ZigBee hub. Enjoy the benefits of hands free lighting control by asking to turn the lights on and off, dim, change the color and more.
- Individual light atmosphere - RGBW LED: Choose from over 16 million available colors and adjustable white color temperature ranging from soft white to daylight (2700K-6500K). Ideal for decorative lighting behind TV's, bookcases, under cabinets, bars and more.
- Starter kit includes three 24 inch flexible lightstrips, controller, and power supply. Expand your Indoor Flexible light strips up to 240 inches by adding additional light strips, sold separately.
- The OSRAM LIGHTIFY: Gateway is not required when using a different compatible ZigBee hub. ZigBee smart lights will not pair directly to voice control devices such as an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home.
The Sylvania Smart+ is a six-foot-long light strip that can be applied to any indoor surface. It has up to 25,000 hours of power and has many capabilities to make the lighting in your home unique. Compatibility with voice assistants and a smartphone application makes changing colors of lights, turning lights on and off, dimming lights, or brightening lights easy.
EASE OF USE
The Sylvania Smart+ can be easily applied to any surface with the adhesive attached to the back. Some reviews suggest that that adhesive may wear out after only one use, but an extra amount can be applied when needed. There is also a smartphone application to control the Sylvania Smart+ Light Strip, which is easy to navigate and control your lights with.
With the Sylvania Smart+ Light Strip application, you can control your lights from anywhere. You can dim them, brighten them, and change the colors with the application or with a compatible ZigBee hub. Unfortunately, the Google Home and Amazon Echo Dot are not compatible with this device. It can only connect with SmartThings, Wink, or Amazon Echo Plus.
The size of the Sylvania Smart+ Light Strip can be adjusted by cutting it or by adding more light strips to it. Additional light strips are not included. The strip itself is six-feet-long, about the same size as the Hue Light Strips. Also similar to Hue Light Strips, it requires a hub to be purchased separately to connect to the internet. This light strip is not water-proof or dust-proof, so they should only be used indoors and away from water.
Set up is easy, there is an adhesive attached to the back of the Sylvania Smart+ Light Strip to place anywhere in your home. You simply connect the hub to the light strip, plug it in, connect it to Wi-Fi and with the application, then it is ready to use. It is also easy to set up and connect to your SmartThings, Wink, or Amazon Echo Plus after connecting to Wi-Fi.
- Compatible with Amazon Echo Plus.
- 16 million colors to choose from
- Can be extended and cut
- Hub needs to be purchased separately
- Not compatible with all smart home assistants
- 💗 ONE-KEY CONTROL: You can switch the lightstrip on or off by pushing the button, or change the color by long pressing. It's very useful at night, because you are too sleepy to find your smart phone for control.If you have Amazon Alexa, Google Assitant, you can via the voice to control.(APP selects Singapore server)
- 💗 ULTIMATE FLEXBILITY: This light strip with ONE-button controller design convenient use; 2 meters cable for most home decor lighting scenes; No messy cables any more, comes with storage organizer.
- 💗 COLORS-CHANGING: It have 16 millions versatile colors optional,Combine your favorite music with family lighting, feel the rhythm of light, allow you dance with light and music.(Download YEELIGHT app);Brightness dimming, comfort dimming brightness from 0-100%.
- 💗 SWITCH LIGHTING FROM PRESET SCENES: From blue to orange, night light to high brightness, just use preseted scenes in YEELIGHT App. It provides you a fast way to get the color you like, and also you can put one into your favorites
- 💗 EXRENDIBLE: Extend your Lightstrip 1S up to 33 feet long, The extension strap needs to be purchased separately.【 Maximum extension of 10 meters 】
The YEELIGHT Smart Wi-Fi LED Light Strip is one of the cheapest light strips on the market for the best quality. It has many smart features such as compatibility with smart home assistants and an easy-to-use app. Both of these features can be used to control and adjust different settings built into the lights.
EASE OF USE
The back of the YEELIGHT has an adhesive on the back, similar to the other light strips mentioned in this review. It easily pairs to the YEELIGHT smartphone application, which you can use to control any lighting adjustments. It is also easily connected to smart home speakers.
The YEELIGHT application works extremely well to control the lights, with many pre-sets, brightening options, and 16 million color options to choose from. It can be synced to music, television shows, movies, or games to accent what is happening on your monitor. It also has an Alexa certification, meaning it will seamlessly connect to Amazon’s Echo products. It is also compatible with other smart home assistants and smart speakers, such as Google Home.
The YEELIGHT Light Strip is about 6.56 feet long, and the power cable is even longer, about 9.8 feet long. It also has a remote attached to the power cable, making it easy to turn on and off and change colors when the internet is down. The electrical ports and any electrical contacts are covered by rubber material, making the light strip water-resistant and dust-proof.
Set up for the YEELIGHT is effortless, there is no additional hub or bridge needed to purchase to connect to the internet. After taking your new YEELIGHT Light Strip out of the box, plug it in and sync it to the corresponding application on your smart phone. There are certain spots on the strip where you can cut and adjust the length of the light strips, and you can also buy more YEELIGHTs to make the strip longer.
- 16 million colors
- 140 lumens of bright light
- Ability to cut/expand
- Can be synced to monitors
- Water-proof and dust-proof
- Not compatible with all smart speakers
Philips Hue Light Strips are one of the most popular smart light brands–and it’s obvious why that is. They can connect to many smart speakers and smart home assistants, and have a highly functional app to control things such as brightness, color, turning the lights on and off, and more. The only downfall of the Hue Light Strips is that you must buy an additional bridge or hub to connect to the internet. If you are looking for a new and fun lighting solution in your home, the Hue Light Strips will serve you well.